Books of Interest
1. There are many works of genealogical interest for those researching Cuban or Spanish genealogy. To see a suggested list of books, click on our RESOURCES PAGE. Look under the category BOOKS OF INTEREST.
1. You will need a genealogy program to document all your findings. Google "Genealogy programs review" and you will get several sites that will compare the more common and popular programs.
2. Don't forget "Yahoo Groups" and Facebook - These groups often provide hints and tips on where to look for information. See RESOURCES on this website.
3. Join a Mailing List like the CUBA-L Discussion List (www.cubangenclub.org/cuba-l.htm). Be sure to subscribe in "digest" mode. E-mails on the list will come to your e-mail box.
4. Search the Message Boards for others looking for the same family or surname you're researching. You go to the Board to search but you can ask to be notified of new entries. There are multiple boards. Do a Google search with the keyphrase "genealogy message boards" and you will have a variety of boards to choose from!
Evidence and Citation
1. Direct evidence speaks to the point in question.
2. Indirect evidence gives facts from which you can come to a conclusion.
3. Primary evidence (primary source) is personal testimony or a record created shortly after an event by a person with personal knowledge of the facts (ie: birth certificate, baptismal certificate, death certificate, etc.)
4. Secondary evidence is compiled from other sources written from memory long after the event has occurred. (Example: a death certificate is a primary source for the death but a secondary source for the birth information, names of parents, etc. that may be on it.)
5. It is important you cite your sources and evidence RIGHT FROM THE START. There are several sites that will help you with this process, as well as books and sometimes your genealogy program will be able to assist you. http://www.cyndislist.com/citing/citations-in-genealogy/ https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Cite_Your_Sources_(Source_Footnotes)