Newspapers in Cuba
Diario de la Marina was a newspaper published in Cuba, founded by Don Nicolas Rivero in 1832. Diario de la Marina was Cuba’s longest-running newspaper and the one with the highest circulation. Its roots went back to 1813 with El Lucero de la Habana (The Havana Star) and the Noticioso Mercantil (The Mercantile Seer) whose 1832 merger established El Noticioso y Lucero de la Habana, which was renamed Diario de la Marina in 1844.
In 1953, the Diario had a circulation of 28,000 weekdays and 35,000 on Sundays, with 36 to 48 pages, selling for five cents. Its audience was government officials and the upper and middle classes.
Soon after the Cuban Revolution led by Fidel Castro that overthrew the Cuban government in 1959, all media - radio, television, and print - underwent a censorship process. Diario La Marina, due to its anti-Castro position (it had opposed Castro's efforts since well before the revolution) was closed on May 12, 1960, by orders of the government. After 128 years, the newspaper had ceased operations.
The newspaper was published in exile in Miami, Florida, from 1960 until 1961, when it ceased publication.
World Newspaper Archive also has a more complete collection of the Diario de la Marina issues.