The Cuban Genealogy Club of Miami, Florida

Church Records - Havana - Pg. 2

 
St. Francis Monastery
Havana, Cuba
 
 
The St. Francis Monastery was erected around 1587. A community of Franciscan friars who had lived in the city of Havana for about ten years founded it. Its naves have witnessed the history of the city of Havana. In its precinct, sleep the 17th and 18th century aristocracy of Havana, from captain generals to the titled of Castilla.

For a long time, the monastery was an institution of learning and achieved noted academic success. Among the learned of that precinct is Jose de la Luz y Caballero who years later returned there to teach philosophy.

Throughout its extensive existence it has been utilized for many diverse purposes, and today, it is the seat of a chamber music organization.

St. Francis founded the Third Order of Saint Francis in 1221 as a true secular religious order. Its principal objective was its pastoral activity on the five continents and moreover assisting children, the sick, the elderly, the marginalized, and emigrants, as well as academic and professional instruction and all type of assistance to the less fortunate.

Source: This listing of individuals is not complete. There were many more individuals buried in the monastery. It was originally published by Manuel Perez Beato in the magazine named "El Curioso Americano."  Later the list was reproduced by Fernando Suarez de Tangil y de Angulo, Conde de Vallellano in his book "Nobiliario Cubano – Las grandes familias isleñas."
 
********************************************
 
El Monasterio de San Francisco se construyó aproximadamente en el 1587.  Una comunidad de frailes franciscanos que habían vivido en la ciudad de La Habana unos diez años, fueron los fundadores.  Sus naves han presenciado la historia de la ciudad de La Habana, en este precinto durmieron en los siglos XVII y XVIII la aristocracia habanera desde los Capitanes Generales a los títulos nobiliarios de Castilla.

Durante siglos, este monasterio fue una importante institución de enseñanza alcanzando cotas académicas muy altas.  Entre aquellos que pasaron por este centro se encuentra José de la Luz y Caballero quien años más tarde regresó como profesor de filosofía al mismo.
A lo largo de su dilatada existencia ha sido usado para diversos propósitos, siendo hoy en día la sede de la organización de música de cámara.

San Francisco fundó la Tercera Orden de San Francisco en 1221 como una orden religiosa secular.  Su principal objetivo fue la actividad pastoral en los cinco continentes, además de ayudar a los niños, los enfermos, los ancianos, los marginados y los imigrantes, así como ofrecer instrucción académica y profesional y todo tipo de ayuda a los menos afortunados.

Fuentes:  La lista de individuos no está completa.  Hubieron muchos más que fueron enterrados en el monasterio. Originalmente la misma aparece publicada por Manuel Pérez Beato en la revista llamada “El Curioso Americano”.  Más tarde fue copiada por Fernando Suárez de Tangil y de Angulo, Conde de Vallellano en su libro “Nobiliario Cubano – Las grandes familias isleñas.”
 
 
 
 

 
Santo Domingo Monastery
Havana, Cuba
 
 
The Church of Nuestra Señora de Santa María de la Consolación, later called San Juan de Letrán or Santo Domingo, was founded by Father Andrés Dénis in the second half of the sixteenth century.  The exact date of its creation was not documented, but it is believed that it already existed by 1564.  Upon his death, Father Dénis gave the church, his house and the adjacent land to the order of the Dominican Friars so that they could build a monastery. (The donated area comprises the modern-day streets of O´Reilly, Mercaderes, Obispo and San Ignacio in Havana.) In 1587, orders were given to the Governor of Cuba to provide materials and labor for the remodeling of the original church. In 1648, an effort is put forth to use wood, clay and rock materials to conclude the building of the sacristy, dormitories and main chapel.  In 1721, the Dominican friars received authorization to create the “Real y Pontificia Universidad de San Jerónimo de La Habana” on the premises. 

Burial records exist from January of 1613 through 1805.  Our file lists some of the persons who were buried in this church.
 
Source: La Iglesia y Convento de Santo Domingo - Curiosidades Históricas, Perez Beato, Manuel; Revista Bimestre Cubana, Jul-Aug 1917, Vol XII, Num. 4, Pgs. 234 - 251, Habana, Cuba.
 
********************************************
 
La Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de Santa María de la Consolación, más tarde llamada San Juan de Letrán o Santo Domingo, fue fundada por el Padre Andrés Dénis en la segunda mitad del siglo XVI.  La fecha exacta de su creación no está documentada, pero se cree que ya existía alrededor de 1564.  Al fallecer el Padre Dénis donó la iglesia, su casa y la tierra circundante a la Orden de los Frailes Dominicos para que construyeran un monasterio. (El área donada está comprendida entre las actuales calles de O´Reilly, Mercaderes, Obispo y San Ignacio en La Habana.) En 1587, el Gobernador de Cuba dio la orden de que se le cedieran los materiales y la mano de obra para la remodelación de la iglesia original.  En 1648, se hizo un esfuerzo para utilizar en su construcción madera, arcilla y piedras, para terminar la fabricación de la sacristía, los dormitorios y la capilla principal. En 1721, los Frailes Dominicos recibieron la autorización para crear la “Real Pontificia Universidad de San Jerónimo de La Habana” en la misma.

Los registros de enterramiento existen desde enero de 1613 hasta 1805.  Nuestros archivos listan algunas de las personas que fueron enterradas en esta iglesia.

Fuente: La Iglesia y Convento de Santo Domingo - Curiosidades Históricas, Pérez Beato, Manuel; Revista Bimestre Cubana, Jul-Agosto 1917, Vol XII, Núm. 4, Pgs. 234 - 251, La Habana, Cuba.

 
 

 
Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe y San Francisco Javier Church
Cuba
 
 
Its origin is shared with two eighteenth-century chapels were erected on land outside the walls under the pastoral care of Bishop Lazo de la Vega: the Christ of Health and Guadalupe, the latter built of wood and thatched in 1716 , and rebuilt and enlarged by Bishop in 1738, designating the Greater Parish Assistant on December 24, 1739, under the title of Our Lady of Guadalupe and San Francisco Javier. The chapel was located in the alley between the alley Suspiro and Aguila Street.
 
Church Information Source: http://www.palabranueva.net/contens/pag_religion4.html
 
Su origen está compartido con dos ermitas del siglo xviii que se erigieron en terrenos de extramuros bajo el gobierno pastoral del obispo Lazo de la Vega: la del Cristo de la Salud y la de Guadalupe, construida esta última de madera y techo de paja en 1716, y reconstruida y ampliada por orden del obispo en 1738, designándola Auxiliar de la Parroquial Mayor el 24 de diciembre de 1739, con el título de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe y San Francisco Javier. La ermita estaba situada en la calzada del Monte entre el callejón del Suspiro y la calle del Águila.
 
Fuente: http://www.palabranueva.net/contens/pag_religion4.html
 
 
 

 
San Julian de los Güines Church
Cuba
 
The one entry below is part of a document which contains a June 1, 1767 census of Güines, a listing of the properties in Güines on June 6, 1767 and a listing of the tobacco lands of Pedro de las Carreras in Güines.
 
(The June 1, 1767 census, the property listings and the tobacco lands files are also posted on this site. - See "Census/Countings" and "Land Records/Matriculas".)
 
 

 
Señor del Santo Calvario Church
Cuba
 
The following files were donated to the Cuban Genealogy Club of Miami, Fl., Inc. (CGC) by Mariela Fernandez from her personal files. 
 
Los archivos fueron donados al CGC por Mariela Fernandez de su archivo personal. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Jesús del Monte Church
Cuba
 
 
The following files were donated to the Cuban Genealogy Club of Miami, Fl., Inc. (CGC) by Mariela Fernandez from her personal files. 
 
Los archivos fueron donados al CGC por Mariela Fernandez de su archivo personal.